Following digital and PR company MCG’s lunch & learn session at Nexus at the beginning of the month, MCG provide their top ten tips for PR success.
1. Ensure you know what your communications objectives are: recruiting the best talent? attracting new clients? Engaging with your peers in industry and academia? Attracting investment? Clear communication objectives should inform your strategy and best tactics.
2. Evaluate the benefits of all the tools in your toolkit: earned (media relations/events/conferences/speaker opportunities); paid-for (advertorials/social media advertising) and owned (your website/organic social activity)
3. Make sure your content is relevant, informative and engaging for your target audiences – read the publications and websites you want to appear in: that’s your style guide
4. Include good quality photography, audio and video wherever you can – they are increasingly valued by both traditional and social media channels
5. Utilise third party endorsement where possible – case studies and testimonials from satisfied clients reaping the rewards of your product/service/innovation will significantly increase traction for your content
6. Establish relationships with your key target journalists – they will come to you for the articles/feature input they need if they see you as a reliable provider of good copy
7. Use the opportunity presented by trade shows and exhibitions to meet the media and key influencers – not just customers and suppliers
8. Think about emerging trends (e.g. climate change; mental health) and ensure your messages demonstrate your relevance and topicality
9. Support newsrooms’ drive for more diversity and equality when you’re choosing spokespeople for and case studies of your business
10. Be prepared for when things go wrong – a product recall or major data breach for example – and ensure your whole team knows how to respond and who to contact and when. Being on the back foot and giving responses that aren’t thought through to media inquiries can potentially destroy all of the hard work that has gone in to building your profile and engagement with your business in an instant.