This Notice explains how we will collect and use your personal data.
We are the data controller for personal data that we process about you.
Throughout this Notice, “University”, “we”, “our” and “us” refers to the University of Leeds. “You” and “your” refers to those expressing an interest in becoming a part of the Innovative Entrepreneurs Programme (both prior to and at formal application stage), together with those who later become a participant on the programme.
If there is anything you are unclear about, please contact email@example.com
A member of the Innovative Entrepreneur community is someone who:
- Registers their interest in the programme
- Becomes a participant of the programme
- Completes the programme and becomes an alumni
We obtain personal data about you from the following sources:
Data you provided when you:
- Register your interest in the programme
- Submit an application to the programme
- Completed and returned surveys or forms (by mail, email or via the website);
- Share it with a member of the programme delivery team
Third party sources:
- Organisations that assist us with recruiting participants (e.g. Community leaders and representatives or the West Yorkshire Combined Authority)
When we obtain personal data from third party sources, we will ensure that the third party has lawful authority to provide this.
The data we may process includes:
- Your title, name (including former name or alias), sex, gender, ethnicity, and date of birth;
- Your contact information (including address, telephone, email);
- Your business details (including positions, organisation, professional memberships and qualifications);
- Your bank account details, passport or driving license and household bills;
- General information that you have decided to share with us.
We will keep a record of interactions with you for future reference and to help tailor further communications with you. As part of this, some emails sent by us may record whether the email has been opened and whether any links have been clicked on.
We will also process special category personal data (that which relates to racial or ethnic origin, religious beliefs or other beliefs, physical or mental health or other conditions and information concerning any criminal offences or criminal proceedings).
We will only do this where:
- You have directly provided it yourself with your consent, or collected for event management purposes (e.g. for assessing access requirements arising from a disability) or;
- It has been sourced from information that we believe you have clearly made public (e.g. company filings, media articles and social networking posts).
We will use your data to help us maintain an engaged programme community. Please see the “Communications” section for information on the communication that we may have with you.
We will also process your personal data for the following purposes:
- Administration and delivery of the programme
- Due diligence
- Reporting on programme impact
The University has a legitimate interest in conducting due diligence checks on its partners, which may involve the processing of personal data.
We will update the data we hold on you from time to time (e.g. if you provide us with new contact details). We will respond to requests for your data to be updated.
If you would like your data to be updated, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Leeds
Ultimate responsibility – shared with
Your data is held securely within the University. Access is strictly controlled and staff receive training on data protection.
We may employ a third party to help us keep our data up to date. In addition, we may employ IT experts from outside of the University to aid with the development of our systems. These experts will provide their services in accordance with the strict instructions of the University.
Your data may be shared with the consortium partners as a part of the recruitment process and programme management. Partners include:
- University of Leeds
- Leeds University Business School
- University of Bradford
- Leeds Beckett University
- University of Huddersfield
- Impact Hub Bradford
- RTC North
- 3M Buckley Innovation Centre
- Munroe K
The West Yorkshire Combined Authority
As the funder of the programme, some of your data will be shared with the West Yorkshire Combined Authority for the purposes of communicating impact and ensuring the best programme of support is provided.
We will from time to time communicate with you by email, and telephone. In particular, we regularly communicate with people for the following purposes:
- Information relating to programme delivery
- Invitations to relevant events
- Sharing relevant recourses
If the telephone number we have for you is registered with the Telephone Preference Service (TPS), we will only contact you on that number for administrative purposes unless you have given us permission to contact you on this number for other purposes.
The Data Protection Act 2018 affords individuals a number of rights:
- Withdraw consent where that is the legal basis of our processing. Please note that withdrawing your consent will have an impact on your ability to engage with our community;
- Access your personal data that we process;
- Rectify inaccuracies in personal data that we hold about you;
- Be forgotten, that is your details to be removed from systems that we use to process your personal data;
- Restrict the processing in certain ways;
- Obtain a copy of your data in a commonly used electronic form;
- Object to certain processing of your personal data by us.
In some instances these rights are not “absolute”, for example, where an organisation has an overriding legal requirement to retain some data. Please see https://ico.org.uk/ for further information. You may also contact the University’s Data Protection Officer (email@example.com).
We will keep your data for as long as you remain a participant on the programme and for a period of time after you complete it. For example, we will keep financial records (e.g. financial documents and money laundering checks) for up to 7 years. Personal emails will be kept whilst you are on the programme and for 36 months beyond completion.
- You have given consent to the processing of your personal data for one or more specific purposes;
- The processing is necessary for compliance with our legal obligations;
If you have any concerns with regard to the way your personal data is being processed that has not been resolved by the Programme Team (firstname.lastname@example.org), please contact our Data Protection Officer, Alice Temple at email@example.com.
- Our general postal address is University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, UK.
- Our postal address for data protection issues is University of Leeds, Room 11.72 EC Stoner Building, Leeds, LS2 9JT.
- Our data controller registration number provided by the Information Commissioner’s Office is Z553814X.